NEW! National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, Thursday, September 30th
The National Day for Truth and Reconciliation has been created to give everyone an opportunity to recognize and commemorate the legacy of residential schools, which more than 150,000 First Nations, Metis and Inuit children were forced to attend between the 1870s and 1997. It is a new federal statutory holiday.
Brock House will acknowledge National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, by closing at 1:00pm on September 30th, and a commemorative program will take place on our grounds (weather permitting) or in the marquee.
In the days leading up to the commemoration, orange shirts will be on sale on the main floor of BH on
- Monday, September 27th from 11:00am to 2:00pm
- Tuesday, September 28th from 12noon to 2:00pm
- Wednesday, September 29th from 12noon to 2:00pm
- Thursday, September 30th before the ceremony and after
- Small, Medium, Large and XL sizes are available for $20 each.
If members would like to make a donation on behalf of BH we will collect and send to the Orange Shirt Society in Williams Lake, BC.
From 12:00 to 1:30pm we will be offering a light lunch of salmon and bannock which is being provided by Salishan Catering of the Musqueam First Nation. Lunch is offered at $12.00 per person, requires registration and pre-payment. Please login and register online or in the office.
- Noon – 1:30pm Light Meal of Salmon featuring Bannock provided by Salishan Catering, Musqueam First Nation ($12/person) (beer and wine available)
- 1:30pm Land Acknowledgement – BHS President
- 1:35pm Welcome of Invited Guests – BHS President
- 1:40pm Message from Lieutenant Governor and BHS Patron – The Hon. Janet Austin
- 1:45pm Advancing the Process of Reconciliation – Jill Goldberg, Writer and Instructor, Langara College
- 2:00pm Ceremony concludes
Registration cancellations will be accepted until Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 12:01 AM.
Val Lynn, Chair, Brock House Diversity Committee